Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Glorious escape to the place I most long to be come the long, hot days of summer.  We just returned from a two week stint in Lake Tahoe and it was everything I dreamed of...relaxing in the arms of my husband every morning without the looming thoughts of sending him off to work come midday, going for runs in the early morning hours and discovering new paths and trails along the shore that I never knew existed after all of these years, bike rides with Belle singing with glee to be rolling along so free behind me in her highness's chariot (except for the bumps along Fallen Leaf Lake...she did not sing when we rolled over those...she cried...loud!), and the whole notion of not having a "plan"...just being able to wake up and "go with it!"  What a restful, incredible, unforgettable vacation.  I know I'm not alone in these thoughts because since we have been home, without fail, the morning hours herald a, "Mom, I wish we were still in Tahoe!"  To which I respond, "Be here now!"  That's my new mantra-and there's a story behind it, of course.

To stay there is to miss what is in front of me today, and so far, that has included a trip down the hill to bring Caleb to Christian's - they are headed up to Northstar to ride the mountain today...so lots of prayers for safety as always, placing an order for a much needed new pair of running shoes, and reading with my husband before he sets off to work another day.  Ok-so, not the excitement of our time at the lake, but it's real and it's life, and it feels good to be plopped down here on the couch right now hammering out thoughts and memories.

A few highlights up at the lake for me...my eight-miler along the shores in Tahoma and Homewood which started with a very short but sweet acqauaintance with a gal named Pattie; sitting snuggled up close under a blanket at the edge of a dock with my hubby watching the moon rise in all of her full magnificence over the peaks of Heavenly, all the while fireworks illuminate at the base of the mountain but are no match - I couldn't take my eyes off of the moon (haha, I don't mean Brian's although sometimes that is the case, cute moon that it is);  riding our bikes together as a family around Fallen Leaf Lake;  spending time together in the evenings around the dinner table with nothing else to do but sit, and laugh and enjoy, and talk about the days events -hikes, beach-time, mountains, adventures!  I'm so thankful for all of it!

(will post pics. as soon as I can:)








No comments: