Friday, May 28, 2010

A New Journey Begins!


Please view a gallery of Isabella's birth created by my very special friend, who happens to be the most amazing Professional Photographer, Treacy Mize, at

She is here, in the flesh! Our precious Isabella Grace was born at 11:02 (Silas' birthday Nov. 2nd :0) yesterday...5-27-10. She weighed in at 7.08lbs and 19 1/2 inches. What a splendid birth experience. It all started after the doctors appointment on Weds. morning. She called it..."things are going to get moving now!" When we got home, I felt it...the pressure, the intensity of the contractions increasing. Hmmmmmm. I painted the stairwell walls, did some laundry, cleaned bathrooms, fell into bed at around 10:00. Caleb was the one who said, "I think she's coming on a Thursday Mom. Brian called it on the way down to the appointment..."wouldn't it be just like God G. I have the day off tomorrow (Thursday, which he had taken off weeks ago for the kids Sunsplash trip) and if she comes, we're golden. I can start my vacation and then my leave." I laughed at both of them. They were both right!
Before I went to sleep on Weds. night I prayed, "Lord, just wake me up when it's time because I have no idea when to leave" (as far as duration and timing of the contractions...we live about 40 min. from the hospital.) He did...at 3:30 I woke up to a dream I was teaching in a classroom of about 15 younger ones and all of the sudden they were telling me, "Mrs. Holbrook, it's time to go! Mrs. Holbrook!" I woke up to a few very strong contractions about 4-5 min. apart and I gently woke up B. "I think it's time to head on down love!" He was stunned that I waited until the contractions were so close, but I knew God was in control. We woke up the boys, everyone got dressed and grabbed bags and off we went!

I phoned on the way down and told them we were on our way and to have that epidural on tap for me. The nurse laughed hysterically, but when we got here...they were all ready for me! :0)
I was at 5cm and actually told the nurse, "Ya know, I think I'm OK for a little while." Her words -"No you're not :0)! I've already got the anesthesiologist on his way!" Ha! -and there he was!
The funniest man. He made Brian and I laugh throughout the whole epi. It was awesome. I'm telling you...there is nothing like a good epidural. Poof, the contractions disappeared. The boys manned the baby's heart beat on the monitor, my heart beat and the contractions. They informed me when the contractions were starting, when they were ending and just how Bella was doing. They were awesome.

So, a word here about my guys. What amazing young lads we have. The nurses were totally blown away by there maturity, respectfulness of the whole ordeal and sincerity. Even going down the hallway to my recovery room I had nurses passing me saying, "Oh, I heard about your sweet boys and your story is amazing!" It was sooooooo God! Even my precious Caleb decided to attend the birth and watched it all, beginning to end. I heard from a friend that he posted a comment on his facebook that he has been "blessed by God with a beautiful baby sister!" you go Caleb. Benjamin and Silas were completely attentive to mommy and how I was fairing. Even with an epidural your body still reacts to the stages of labor, so when I hit transition I got the tell-tale shakes. Silas was very concerned and kept saying, "Don't be nervous Mom. It's all going to be over soon." I think it "shook" him to see me shaking so bad...involuntarily of course.

Linda and Treacy were there through it all. Treacy with her sweet calm...and camera :0) and Linda with her Mama touch that kept me focused and relaxed. We had some good laughs too. My leg kept falling off the left side of the bed. I just had no lower body control at all. It was so stinkin' funny! She kept having to move it back into position for me. I felt like a noodle laying there...with someone else's butt I might add. I couldn't feel a thing!

...which made me wonder...would I feel when it was time to push? The nurse assured me I would. Things progressed so smoothly..5cm to 7cm to 9cm by 9:30. At 10:00 I was at 10 cm, but it was not time to push, as Isabella still needed to descend down just a wee bit more. When she did, I could tell. IT WAS TIME TO PUSH!
My doctor arrived, the gals held my legs in place and Brian and the boys waited to catch their miracle! ONE contraction, not even pushing through the whole thing, and there she was...precious, petite, slippery little Promise of Grace! Gorgeous thing, laying on my "Isa-belly", screaming her little lungs out. What joy unspeakable! What love! Tears, laughter, and an intense sense of completion and wholeness. The end of the old and the beginning of a new season!

"Arise my love, my lovely one come.
The winter has passed and the rains are gone.
Flowers appear, it's the season of song.
My beautiful one, arise!"

So came the words from my Beautiful Shepherd to me as I gazed at our miracle. Straight out of Song of Solomon. Glory!

Towards the 1:00 hour Brian gathered up the troops and took them to lunch, back to the house to gather some things and then off to the Fabulous Wrights...and they are fabulous for always welcoming my guys with open arms. So love these people! Brian came back down the hill after a bit of a nap and chilled with Bella and I until we zonked at around 11:00. Isabella's first nights was superb (and typical). She slept hard and woke up at 3:00 and 6:00 ready to nurse! I was up throughout the night listening to her soft sounds and gurgles.

So much more to tell, but I will end here! Looking forward to visitors this day and then home we go this afternoon! Yeah! We are so BLESSED!

PROUD BROTHERS




6 comments:

Canada to China and back! said...

Oh congratulations! What a blessing and a beautiful story to tell your sweet baby girl as she gets older:) I pray the Lord will pour out his richest blessings on you and yours!
Hugs,
Kim

Tami said...

Hey Gi...

Wish I could have come today to see the sweet thing and give you hugs. Bri said you weren't feeling great, so I will give it another try tomorrow.

Sending lots of prayers and hugs...

Anonymous said...

What a gift!!! What a gift!!! Our third granddaughter! We laugh that it seems like your papa and I began with three girls and are ending with three girls! This newest one is a trip and a half, God bless her! What lungs! Good for her!

We are so thankful that all is well with all of you, esp. you and the baby, Gina! God is so good!

May this new life truly be a new beginning for you – and we claim it for ourselves, even. The number 8 signifies “new beginning” and we live in the joy of good things coming from the Father of life! He does make all things beautiful in His time!

God bless you all, dear Holbrooks!
We love you!
Mom and Papa

Susan said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you all my family ♥ I love you all so very much! Bella is absolutely beautiful like her Mommy♥ I so wish I was there to hug you tight Gina! Isabella is definitely a true "Gift from God".....lots of hugs and tons of love to you and yours.....Susan and Stephen♥

Anonymous said...

Your words and pictures have touched my heart!! You have indeed been blessed with the miracle of LIFE and have added another branch to our family tree. You can be very proud!!! LOVE from Ed & Penny (Uncle & Aunt) XOXOXOXO

Tammy said...

I started following your blog a few years back....when I saw that we had similar lids..I am so excited for you. God is sooooo great....I have checked in on you from time to time.....to soak up your annoited words...and now to witness your miracle......what a blessing.......She is stunning and so beautiful.
We are rejoicing with your family and praying blessings to be showered over you all.

From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another Jn 1-16

Blessings
Tammy