Saturday, May 14, 2011

Purpose!

The school year is winding down and as it does, I think about where we've been and where we are going in the year ahead. Change is on the horizon!

Our Caleb will be in high school shortly. As I poured through pictures and video clips of his growing this past week, I was reminded of the intention of the Father over my children's lives. He has given each of them such unique desires, passions and purpose. Caleb has always been the "Steve Irwin" of the Holbrook clan. How many pictures do we have, from age 2 even, of him holding up snakes (yes, alive) in the air with such a grin on his face. I can hear him saying proudly, "Crikey, she's a beauty!" As he closes the first chapter and begins the next, we are blessed to know that Caleb carries the confidence of a God that loves him and leads him. There is no greater joy, I believe, for a parent, than to watch their child grow in that awareness.

My mother-heart prayer, from the time my children were still in the womb, has been, "Above all things God, may my children know the height, depth and breadth of Your love for them. Let them be confident in You alone, and whatever road they choose, please be their Purpose! Be magnified in their lives."

That prayer has saved me from such needless worry and fear. The Lord has taught me that when I pray for my children (or anything for that matter), I am to pray believing...not crossing my fingers hoping for the best, and definitely not trusting in man. I am to pray with the outcome in mind, trusting in the Father's love for me and my children, and in His intention. This is His work, and the scripture says that He will complete it! ...and the one thing I am so sure of, is this...Love never fails! Caleb has seen that scripture take shape time and again in our family.

As for the rest, we are sooooo excited for summer! Daddy has a couple of weeks off and we will be out doing what we love most...hiking in the Sierra's (God's country), relaxing on the shores of Lake Tahoe, biking along the trails (I'm so excited to have Isabella in tow) and enjoying what will most likely be our last summer in this home...another chapter coming to a close around one of these corners.

I have a feeling I'll be posting a lot about our Caleb in the next few weeks. There's something about your child graduating, a right of passage, and growing-up that makes you ponder. Life is so swift and fleeting. I am so thankful I've had the most precious opportunity as Caleb's mom and teacher to guide him and watch him bloom these past 9 elementary years. It is a rare gift, and I would never trade those mornings at the kitchen table doing school...ever!

Now...if the seasons would only change ;) We woke up to more snow this morning and I can honestly admit that I was not happy about this...a bit disgruntled I was. Able to get off the hill, thankfully, and meet Dad and Mom for a Starbucks as they journeyed home from Yosemite. Change of plans...because of the snow over the summit, they have decided to shack up here for the night. Sweet treat for my crew. I think they secretly planned it...had to see their Belle ;). God is so good, but really...enough winter already! I could use a good dose of the mid-80s. Sun, that is! Blessings all!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

THIS is absolutely beautiful, daughter, and we stand amazed at your clarity in use of words! Very well done, my dear. May your children be most blessed when they return to this from time to time (if we're not raptured yet!)in their lives and growth.

We did NOT plan to stay overnight last wintry weekend, my dear. THAT was a higher plan and we all benefited from it! A "pass-through" is not a sleep over and we're so thankful we have the latter!

Caleb is doing supurbly and watching Silas be nurtured in his love of flight is awesome. Ben's focus remains on his love of the Lord and worship! What a crew you have and what a blessing for the grandparents! Thank you!

As for Miss Isabella Grace, there are no words and we are so grateful we're getting so see some of her development. The joy she brings is inexpressible! Thank You, God!!!

We love you all and forever!
Mom and Dad