On another note, it's been quite an adventurous couple of days for the Holbrooks. Yesterday we had a couple of visitors. They had been here a few days earlier but then left before we could say good-bye. This time they decided to spend the night. Are you curious as to who I'm talking about? Well, Jack and Pokey of course. Jack was a young Golden Retriever (absolutely beautiful) and Pokey was a chocolate lab mix of some sort. They took an instant liking to the boys and camped on the front porch all day on Thursday, even taking a protective stance against the neighbor across the street. I guess they both decided that it was time for some "new people!" That's what the boys wanted to believe, and they thought they were going to be the proud new people of these furry friends. I played along for awhile, even letting them spend the night with Jake on the back deck, hopeful that come morning, after talking some sense into the boys, they would relent and let me take the doggies to a shelter. Ha! What was I thinking?
This morning, Caleb awoke and became very solemn at the idea of having to say good-bye to his new friends so quickly. I had to scoot out the door for a staff meeting and gave the boys the charge of creating posters for our doggy friends in hopes that their owners would see and call! I prayed on the way to school that God would answer the boys prayers quickly. The dogs could not stay on our deck over the weekend (we will be gone!)
On the way home, I slowed down at every telephone pole to read the signs that were posted. Most were yard sale signs. I did see one "lost dog" sign and mentally took note of the phone number. I would call when I got home. As I approached our turn, there it was!!! "Lost DOGS! -Golden Retriever and Chocolate Lab Mix" I let out such a noise, stopped the truck, ran out and ripped that sign off the post!" I couldn't wait to show the boys! They were so elated! Once again, God heard the cry of their hearts! He answered! He cares about two lost dogs and three boys hearts! He completely was aware of how important this was to them. They really had fallen in-love with these pups! (OK-I was a bit soft on them too!)
Their owners were more than ecstatic to hear that Jack and Pokey had been found! Apparently they had been on vacation and the dogs got out of their fenced yard. They were so sweet, offering the boys a monetary reward, but the boys expressed to them in a rather grown-up manner, "No thank you, we were just glad they chose to hang-out with us!" It was a sweet adventure and a gift of sorts!
Off to Dad and Mom's tomorrow, and we don't have to worry about the fluffy friends! Our fluffy 'older' friend, Jake, is content to have his deck back to himself! I'm content to be thoroughly enjoying this night of rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment