This is just one of the many ways He has answered since then...
Brian had to work yesterday (bummer) so we met him down the hill after he got off of work to give the guys (and Bri) some time at the skate park. I always bring along a book to read, so of course, if you read my last post, I brought The Shack. There was a mom sitting on the bench as I approached and I asked her if I could sit next to her (there wasn't much room and I didn't want to invade her space.) She obliged.
She began calling to her youngest son, "Caleb!" Now here is where the choice came to allow the Father to do what He does so well. I could have said nothing to her and continued reading my book as content as a clam but instead I chose to engage... "Oh, I have a son named Caleb too. He's right over there." She responded, "Really, I love that name. I have a 'Marcus' too. He's my oldest." So, that started the sweetest conversation between us. This young mom was needing some encouragement and because He lives in me, He was wanting to know if I was available.
She told me that she had been married for 10 years to the boys father but left him because it just wasn't "good" anymore. They have been separated for three years and she isn't sure if she should file for divorce or not. So, after being very transparent with her about Brian and I's story, the conversation led to how we survive these tough times in a marriage and I was able to tell her that, if not for Jesus, if not for God's loving kindness towards me and His faithfulness, I would be in a very desperate place today. My story would be so different. She said that she was trying to get back into 'church; but she just couldn't find one that felt right for her and the boys (a familiar story.) I was able to tell her that Jesus isn't locked in the four walls of a church and that He wants to be everything she needs through this time. I honestly don't remember all that was said because it was one of those times that the Holy Spirit takes the wheel and 'the Word' flowed so naturally. I just love it when He does that!
So, at the end of our conversation the Lord is speaking to me and asking me, "Will you give her your Shack book? I want her to have a different mind-set about me. Will you?" As I sit there watching her collect her boys up to leave I'm thinking, "Oh, you can't be serious. That would mean that I don't get to finish the story and this is the third book I've had to buy (because I've given away the others) and Lord....blah, blah, blah." Clearly He spoke back through my reasoning, "Give it away!" So, I gave it to her with a hug goodbye and a prayer and it was the most precious parting. She took my phone number, so I'm going to be waiting and praying for this skate-mom. And as she walked out of the skate park, I knew the Lord was speaking to me, "This is My intentionality in your life. Your life is full of the potential for my intention to become your intention!"
And as for finishing the Shack...I guess it's back to Costco...but this time I think I'll buy more than one!
No comments:
Post a Comment