Sunday, August 5, 2012

Classico!!!

 Went on an adventure of sorts this weekend...Downieville Classic, a first for me...

...but not for B.!!!  

 Over 700 riders converge on this little town in Sierra County every year for one weekend...that is a lot of 'fruit-suits' in one place!
(fruit-suit (n) - tight, spandex riding bib)

 There were quaint bridges spanning up and down the river.

 These are the tires that Brian rode for the race...they climbed 9 miles and raced downhill 20 miles...over rocks and boulders, up and down steep canyons.  They performed flawlessly...unfortunately, his legs did not.  He cramped viciously (legs)...bad...not once, not twice...but seven different times.  He was not happy with his race time..or his legs!!!   

 I love doors!  This was the door to the town museum.  There is history all over the place in this old mining town. 

 After the race there was a "Big-Air" bike jump contest into the river.  I wasn't really that impressed with what I saw...but that's because I have a kid who could have killed this competition...and won a $2,500 carbon wheel set.  Darn-it...he was in Clear Lake catching ten-pound cat fish!

 The Resort that we were so blessed to stay at!  Race sponsors have 
these rooms booked years in advance.  No joke!  It's about who you know people!  The owner(s) of this inn happen to have students at the school I teach at, which actually wasn't the connection I made originally, that was just something I found out along the way.  
I met Diane at the Aglow retreat back in April through my lovely mother!  She hooked us up!

 Another one of those quaint bridges!  I just noticed the chair in this picture.  I should have sat there.

 Where's Waldo?  

 Seriously...where is he?

 I never actually did find him in this sea of helmets.  Sigh!  Oh well, I cheered anyways.


 Aaaah...my gorgeous friend!  He is my inspiration in so many ways.

 This was one of my favorite moments of the weekend.  I started singing John Cougar's, "Ain't that America" when we passed this storefront.  It was such a warm summer eve. and the locals were simply doing what they do.  See the two older gents in the middle...they were playing chess.

 Not sure what this actually is.  A butter-churn?  A wine press?  It sure is purty though.

Chuck!  He's my 'brother' of sorts.  We shared a lot of laughs this weekend.
Fun fact:  Chuck held the Cross Country State Champ. title for two years running...a long time ago! :)...sorry Chuck, you're not that young anymore.

 I went for a walk Saturday morning...alone!!!  It was heaven.  I saw mom's with two-year olds...and I smiled:)

 ...and I saw this.

 ...and this!

Here I am...alone!  You can't see the smile on my face in this picture, but trust me when I say I was smiling.  


It was a wonderful weekend, and I've had fun trying my hand at what I will call, "Ree Drummond blog-dialogue technique!"  That was easy!  Her writing style always makes me laugh so hard.  

Summer is officially a wrap for me.  I'm plugging in tomorrow.  Wish me well:)  Catch ya on the flip side.  There is one story I wanted to tell about our time in Downieville that I didn't get to...because I didn't take pictures, only the ones you take with your mind.  I'll get to that another day.  Happy Sunday all!



2 comments:

Patricia said...

Those pictures speak a 1,000 words, Gina!!! You've captured the HEART of this quaint little town and of its people! LOVELY!

Dad would LOVE to live there...I think he's thinking of Heaven!!!

Thanks for the sharing and it really gave us a sense of watching your "Day Away" through your eyes! So happy you went along for the ride!

Love you, sweetheart!
Mom and Dad

treacy said...

Ahhhhh....love these images of Downieville where I used to spend summers as a girl. Takes me right back and I LOVED seeing it through your eyes. Maybe we can journey together someday. Thanks so much for sharing. Love your heart1