So, just for the record. All along, with all of our children, their education has been important to us, but it has never taken center stage. It has never been the driving force of our parenting, and it most certainly has never been what we found our own identity in. We have encouraged them to do their best, of course, and TRUST God to give them everything they need to be who He created them to be!
As my boy's mama, I feel so completely privileged to be watching their 'becoming'. It is AWESOME to witness your child finding direction in his life, to see him taking a stand (something Caleb has never had trouble with), setting boundaries for himself, grabbing life by the horns and riding like a champion! One more thing I must mention here is how amazed I am by the humility that I see in Caleb about this "school" thing. He doesn't boast, instead he laughs at my accolades. "Would you just let me tell you how amazed I am by you," I say to him.
When I hear you shuffling through papers at 6:00 in the morning because you want to make sure you finished your answer to that one question on your biology assignment, or when you slap a stack of graded assignments on the counter and I flip through them only to see perfect scores on every single one of them. What?
Caleb and I have our points of contention, to be certain. We can fight so good...but we can also laugh hysterically together and find such joy in relationship as mama and son. Thank you God for the gift of my oldest!
...and when I dropped you off at school this morning and you said, "Thanks mom. I love you!" I drove away knowing that this is the fruit of all of those years. You go Caleb...take that Promised Land like you know you can!!! Know that it is He who makes us and not we, ourselves...and know how loved you are!
1 comment:
So proud of Caleb! I still see them all as those little boys coming in from hard play outside, covered in mud and muck!!!
They are growing up, Gi.... Growing up to be such honorable young men.
Post a Comment