"God challenges you to maintain an attitude of concern
and nurture instead of one of resentment and frustration."
Ahhh yes, the challenge for all of us wives whose husbands bring woundedness into the marriage relationship, as do we wives, no? Taking time to pray for my husband this morning as I rise out of my slumber. Yesterday was a day of brooding over some of the hardships of my marriage. I woke up fretting and spent most of the day, either trying to figure it out, blame my husband, or flat-out sulk. Let's be honest, most of the time, our tendency as wives is to stew in the disappointment about our husbands relational shortcomings. It's easy to play the part of the accuser.....he's uncaring, unloving; but too many times I do not give my honey the benefit of the doubt. He simply doesn't know what I need or what he's supposed to do because I don't tell him. Or maybe I think I've told him, all the while throwing out hints that I think he "should" receive. Men aren't about hints. Darn it, I know this. I know this...but it's how I do most of my communication because of fear and lack of trust or just flat out assumptions. This must stop!
Had a wonderful chat with the parents last eve. I shared most of what I've written above -minus the early morning revelations. They poured into me some revelation of their own after being married for 42 years. "Blessings, not curses! Give your man the same Grace God has given you! Everyday! Brian cannot read your mind girl." ...and then..."you two need to get away together!" This I know, and this is in the works!
I know the Lord's mercy is towards me on this one so I need to continue to ask Him to show me how to: #1- communicate my needs to my honey in a straightforward manner and #2- not assume that he can guess my needs. It's true that sometimes we are on two totally different playing fields. His perspective is totally different than mine. I even try to assume his perspective on things, projecting my own emotions and experience. At times my expectations are totally unrealistic. God is still working in me.
It's a new day! I'm so thankful for mercy. On my to-do list today: pray for my husband and write him a letter expressing to him how thankful I am for who he is! :)
2 comments:
Marriage is a blessing, but it sure does take lots of good communication. What you shared will encourage many women.
I had commented on this one, too -- way back last week...
Had in mind the Three "C's" Dad gave all you girls for your marriages:
COMMUNICATION
COMMITTMENT
COVENANT
There they are and they hold true through all the bad and the good years. There will always be "rough" periods when the tide is out and the gentle times when the tide is in. Days of diamonds and days of stones. Communication is critical. Committment absolutely necessary. Covenant the outcome of both!
Stay close to the Source, dear one. HE shows us how to love and how to "get through"...
As always,
Mom
Post a Comment