Wednesday, August 3, 2011

seasons of great sorrow

As I sauntered up the isle at Costco yesterday, I locked eyes with a woman who, as I passed, sank down into the leather sofa that sits on display to the right of me. She appeared very weary. It just came out of me, "Are you OK? Can I get you anything?" She replied, "No, I'm so tired. I just need to rest." As I passed her I gently put my hand on her back and said a quiet prayer. She looked like she was in her upper 50s maybe. The look on her face was one of sorrow and despair. I don't know her story, but her face is imprinted on my mind, and I was impressed upon to pray for her throughout the day and into this morning.

On another note, as I began to wind down last night, I noticed a friends plea for prayer for a young woman (21 yrs.) who, after experiencing a routine medical procedure on Monday, found herself fighting for her life on Tuesday and then passed through the veil last night. Only in January did her mother pass from a battle with cancer and Treacy and Linda flew out to her funeral in CO. I cannot fathom the unimaginable suffering of the husband, two younger sisters and 3 yr. old daughter who are left to travail through such pain. It is a dumbfounding, tragic event for all who are near and far from this precious family. I, myself, don't know them except through pictures that my beautiful photographer friend took of them only a month before the mother's passing, am experiencing a heart ache.

Such seasons of sorrow, I am a stranger to as of yet. I have experienced deep seasons of grief, but not the magnitude of such loss.

There are so many walking wounded. All around us...in Costco, in the school office, at the park, sitting in church, walking down our streets. His heart is towards these. So Father, in your Everlasting Arms of Love, cover this family today and these ones who must face a first day without a sister and a mommy, and cover a woman who is so worn with sorrow that she must sit for even a minute to catch her breath. Lift them high on Eagles wings today.
Thank You Father, that You never forsake us in our times of great sorrow. You inhabit these places with Promise and gentle strength. You carry us when we cannot walk anymore and are fainting from life.

Blessed be Your name in this wilderness today Lord.

Teach me to reach out to those who are weary from the journey.

3 comments:

Corie said...

Beautiful words Gina! You are blessed with seeing through the Father's eyes and feeling with His heart. Love you!

Tami said...

This is absolutely beautiful, my friend. You are such a treasure! I love you

iLoveMyKids said...

Tears filled my eyes and prayers are in my heart as I read this and your earlier post. Yes, the treasures God has given us and wow, my Kenzi starts Kindergarten tomorrow. We too are taking pics :)) Such beauty in your writing and heart for God, family, people... Thanks for sharing, really blesses my heart!