Consider the Lilies

(The following is actually a post from August, 2011) I needed this reminder tonight! Once in a great while I'll randomly go back and grab-bag something I've written. This one jumped off the page this evening.
Lyrics from a beloved song that a friend blessed me with not long ago. The words sink deep into me..."You are the keeper of my heart! And I'm Restless until I Rest in You. Still my heart. Hold me close. Let me hear that still small voice."
It's too easy to be anxious in this world of loud questions..."What if?" "How?" "When?" "Where?" and the biggest of all, "Why?" The Lord has been working into me over the past few years the art of running to rest in Him when I'm otherwise tempted to be anxious and worry or fret. To find Him quickly in the commotion of the questions. "Which one of you can add a single hour to his life by worrying?" THAT is the question! When Jesus asked this, I picture Him with a touch of a smile on His face. He is talking to the crowds of people. I imagine Him looking deep into their eyes and their hearts with great compassion because He knows what each of them is up against in the moment...maybe the death of a loved one, a failed marriage, a wayward child, financial hardship, job stress, depression, questions - you name it! ...but He sees the growth and the outcome of it all. He is not stressed...ever!
So He's looking into their circumstances and He's telling them essentially, "Don't ask the questions! I will take care of every need, every broken place in your life! All you have to do is seek hard after the Father's heart for You in this place. Trust His plan for your life, whatever you are facing. And by all means, don't worry! Please don't worry about what's coming your way tomorrow. I'm already there, and I'll lead you one step at a time into what tomorrow brings." Matthew 6: 25-34 (my interpretation ;)
Can I just stay in this garden? Can I gaze on the lilies that grow in the fields and know that He will supply every need for my own growth. He will make my life a beautiful expression of His goodness and glory. Can I look at my little Grace-girl and be reminded of the provision He has for me? Can I look at my boys, learning and growing in His truths and know that He will grant me the wisdom I need to mother them and teach them? Can I look at my marriage and know that the miracle is there, right before me and I can trust in His promises?
The answer to all of these is YES! He could have stopped there, but He went on to give them a PROMISE...if you ask, it will be given. If you seek, you will find. If you knock, I'll open the door.
Lord, you are so gracious to us. You will not withhold anything good from your children. Help us to rest in you today and trust that You are the best gift giver in the universe. And help us especially, to lavish Your love on others as You lavish Your love on us.
In Jesus Name.
2 comments:
A good reminder, indeed! "Fear now, little flock..." He is with us and HE loves Family!!! Me too!
I love you!
Mom
Opps...FEAR NOT, little flock...
(place for a giggle here, no?)
Post a Comment