Monday, September 26, 2011

Paths of Overcoming

Yesterday was it! The Lake Tahoe Marathon weekend began on Friday with runners, triathletes and bicyclists from all over the country coming to our beautiful Tahoe to culminate months, and for some, years of training. For some it would be part of their bigger training program...Olympic athletes, pro-athletes, doing 2 and even 3 marathons in 3 days. For some it would be another opportunity to participate in something they are passionate about. For others it would be an event that would challenge them to new heights both mentally and physically.

For myself, this run started as a desire to add a little umph to my fitness regimen. I love running, so it made sense to start setting new goals for myself. Before we found out I was pregnant with Belle, I was scheduled to run a half in San Luis Obispo. That run never came to fruition. Last May I heard about the Lake Tahoe Marathon and decided that this would be it! I would start utilizing the hills and roads of our mountain town as training ground. The run in Lake Tahoe would include two challenging climbs...one up through Rubicon to Bliss State Park and then the formidable Emerald Bay climb and descent.

I was blessed a few months ago to learn that Jen, a fellow-ES (for another charter school in the area) and girlfriend of one of Brian's good friends, was up for the challenge as well. This gal is super athletic...mountain climber, bicyclists, runner (for some 30 years), paddle-boarder, etc... and I knew she would be so amazing to run with. We have spent many evenings over dinner getting to know each other and I absolutely adore this woman. A little bit about Jen...she is exactly my age, she is another one of the amazing woman God has gifted my life with - strong, caring, passionate about life, she has 3 gorgeous children, and she happens to be the best coach anyone could ever want on their first marathon event. What a gift!

So, here I've been throughout the summer months, running up to 4 days per week, early mornings on the trails...prayer time, just incredible mornings, me and the Lord cranking out the miles. I was utilizing the run/walk method on my long runs, the plan being to use this same strategy on the half. I started the school year feeling really ready and prepared for the challenge. As I knew would be the case, life went into high gear when school started...meetings, home schooling my own children, more meetings, the job of taking care of a home, and add to that moving! Things started to slip a few weeks ago and I just wasn't getting the training time in that I knew I would need. Last week, though it was a taper week, I almost through in the towel with the dream.

I'm SO GLAD I DIDN'T! Yesterday became one of the most significant days in my life-journey. There are many significant days in my life, and they are all so different...Sunday, Sept. 25th, 2011 will always be remembered as a day of OVERCOMING, of relying on the strength of the God of my Youth, of flying with wings as an eagle. Yesterday gave whole new meaning to this scripture for me..."they shall run and not grow weary"...and so many others. "The Lord is my refuge and strength." "The Lord will sustain you and uphold you!" "Run the race set before you...!" So many life scriptures came to life in a whole new way for me yesterday. I have never before experienced anything like it, and if I do race again, which I'm sure I will, I don't think any will be as significant as this.

There are just too many details to write, but a few highlights were...being cheered on by my precious husband and children along the path as they would drive ahead and then wait for us to run by; realizing at about mile 9 that I hadn't "walked" an inch of this race (as was my planned strategy), and my body was strong enough to run me all the way to the finish line; running past 327 fellow-runners who started the race 2 minutes before us (as we were using the potty at the start, the gun went off and we looked at each with a look of....ummm, should we go or pee first?...we peed first and I'm so glad we did! ;)...even if it did have us at the back of the pack in the beginning, we kept pace up every climb and descent; realizing at mile 10 that this race was now becoming a much more mental race. The body wants to stop, but the mind and spirit are saying "Go!" ...and Jen was too ;)!

I felt like I was in transition as in giving birth. The "contractions" were getting hard and close together and I needed to pull from deep, deep inside to finish this thing. By mile 12, as we neared Pope Beach, the finish line, I had never, ever, felt such intense struggle between wanting to give-up and push through with all of my might and strength! I started to pull thoughts and prayers out from past experiences and give thanks to God for carrying me, going before me, running this race with me!

Something so significant happened for me here, but I will refrain from sharing because I feel that it is so intimately between my Savior and myself...I have to type at least that so that I never forget.

The finish line was now in my sights and my heart was feeling as though it would burst out of my chest. (Actually, at one point, I thought I might die if I pushed any harder ;) Ha! I understood for the first time why I have seen people vomit after a hard workout. I wanted to let go and just stop! I was giving birth! I was at the end of it all, pushing, pushing, pushing. I looked up to see beautiful Jen about 3 yards ahead of me yelling, "NOW Gina, NOW! You've GOT THIS!" Something came out of me. My legs took on a new stride. I sprinted to that finish line...long, hard strides of victory! My Jesus wasn't waiting for me at the finish. He was with me the ENTIRE race!!! I ran into Jen's arms and bowed my head as one of the volunteers put a finisher's medal around our necks! Done! 13.1 miles of becoming!

Jennifer, this is to you...I feel so privileged to have been encouraged and supported by one such as you. You are a beautiful treasure and friend to me. I laugh, because I know you could have flown to that finish line with your years of running experience. I don't think I even once heard you out of breath. What a team! What a perfect run and experience. Totally predestined before time! God knew, when I was 4 years old standing on the Taylor Creek Bridge, that I would be racing across it 36 years later! He would bring me to this place and show me that He would always be my (our) bridge of Hope, Mercy and Grace, in this life...and into the next! Eternity! I'm thankful, so thankful for you! Can't wait for the next event we get to do together ;) Happy Birthday my blond twin! Here's to 40!


1 comment:

Tami said...

Congratulations my friend! I'm so proud of you... I know this is something you have aimed for, and now you can check it off your list with a big smile and so much more. :0)

I miss you...