I'm not quite sure how to confine to words these past two weeks. They have been so full of adventure and the unexpected, and covered in grace. School got out for us (me and the boys I teach ;) on June 3rd. June 9th was my official check-out and on June 10th we welcomed Brian's mom in from MI. She had stayed the previous week with Bri's brother down in Fresno and travelled to us by train. Brian picked her up in Sacto. and we were reunited at the Pine Street Cafe for lunch (now under new ownership by the way, but the Nut Burger is still just as amazing ;)! It was a sweet way to start the week.
There is much to tell, but to keep this short and readable, I will say that after 14 years of not seeing my mother-in-law, and at some points having lost all contact, the Lord was so kind. I felt His leading and promptings daily and I know we had many prayers covering us. I felt them. I could sense His leading...what to say, when to hold my tongue, when to give grace, when to let her talk, when to make her a mocha (huge treat for mom). It was a special time for my boys because they had never met their grandmother. I was so blessed by the way they would interact with her. Even when she was outside smoking (icky, but the Lord even provided the mercy for that, reminding me of all of my bad habits that he has put up with for all of these years;) I would find one of them out there with her (staying down-wind of course) chatting with her about life in Foresthill, tidbits of the years past, loving the way children do. My heart was so touched by this unconditional love of theirs. Silas in particular, who is so full of sweetness and is so obedient to the Holy Spirit's promptings, was so aware of the need, but in a totally "unaware-aware" way.
Mom and I were able to have some really special, deep and personal, chats. I told my own mom that I love it when the 'false-self' takes a rest and the 'true-self' emerges. It's during these moments that the truest and honest happens in conversation. All of the sudden, it would happen without warning, and Jesus would be between us and we were finally conversing! These were my sweetest moments with my mother-in-law and I'm so thankful for them.
She left us on Friday, June 17th, returning back to Fresno for a few days to catch Trevor's all-star football game (my nephew who just graduated from H.S.) and spent the last days of her trip with the family there. The plan, initially, was to pack up the family and trek down there for the night...but realistically, we knew this would be pushing it for our crew. We were scheduled to head-up to Lake Tahoe the following day and we still needed to do a whole weeks worth of packing and grocery-getting. Ugh! Financially, it was a squeeze for us as well. Driving to Fresno and back for only a one-night's stay seemed crazy. It was decided that we would send mom back down on the train (God bless her for suggesting this) and we would have to plan a trip south to see Bri's brother and family in the near future!
When grandma left, the boys were quick to express that they would like her to visit again soon... and not in another 14 years! All I know for sure is that the Father is so eager to respond to our needs and prayers ... in His perfect way and time, He opens the heavens and we receive all of the Promises of Ages. Can we open up the tight-fist of our own selfish wills and receive Him? I told the boys that they can pray for her circumstances and trust that God will do a thing!
So, now on to TAHOE!!!!! Oh beautiful Tahoe, our haven of love and rest. Boy did God set this week up for us! Again, His perfect way and time. We are so blessed to know peeps, who know peeps who are willing to bless us with all of the goodness that has been poured out on them. I love it when God chooses and uses people like that, even if they are unaware! We stayed in a beautiful, and I mean beautiful, lake home for a whole week. We were nestled in the Rubicon Bay Estates and enjoyed not only the lake, but also a mighty, rushing creek behind the house...all of that snow-melt racing towards the bluest waters of her majesty Tahoe!
Our days were spent hiking, swimming, laughing, talking, biking, exploring, eating (of course) and even kayaking!!! What? Another blessing...friends, the Sanders, were able to come up and spend a couple of nights with us and they brought their kayaks (five of them total). What fun we had! Erica and Scott have three children. Cole, their oldest, happens to be Caleb's best friend and he has two sisters who are so precious and such amazing care-takers of our Belle! We so enjoyed sharing our stay with them and felt blessed to get to know them better and in this light!
The Sanders left and Grandma and Grandpa arrived! Two of our sweetest treasures! More fun...cards, dominoes, Mexican Train (thank you Sanders) and special memories galore! Beach again on Thursday afternoon meant Grandma and Grandpa got to try out the kayaks which the Sanders left for us to use! I have the best shot of my mom throwing her head back and laughing with delight on that thing! They went out on the water with the boys and paddled around to their hearts content...as this mama watched from shore with the wee-one to her hearts content!
We spent the last couple of days enjoying some quiet time together...went to the craft show on South Shore, pizza in Tahoe City on the lake (amazing) and a nice run around the neighborhood for mommy! Brian ventured out to a bike trail in Tahoma and the boys played down at the creek and rode bikes around while I started my clean-up. :( Somber to be getting ready for our departure. One week = not enough time in Tahoe! We have already decided that next year, God willing, we will do two weeks! Too much we didn't get to! No wonder mom and dad used to do two weeks when we were kids.
As we "move-in" to our home again (oh the joys of unpacking), I am thankful, sooooo thankful for my summer time. It's time to be just mom and just wife and I look forward to the days ahead. It is always so brief, summer, but so needed and with such changes on the horizon, I will savor every moment. Caleb will be off to high school this coming school year and, well, we just aren't sure where the Lord will be taking us. But you know what? That's just fine with us. For now, today, in this moment, we are right where we are supposed to be!
May you Savor the Summer with your loved ones!...Good title for the next post :) Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment