Friday, April 29, 2011

Identity

Alright peeps...so, here's how it is. A true passion of mine is home decorating. I love, love, love to make pretty, organize, create. I am a detail person by nature. I look for the details. I notice the details. One of my passions from way back is interior design. In fact, my major for a short time was interior design. I wanted to go to The Academy of Art in S.F. after my time spent at the Napa Junior College and finish a degree in Interior Design. Plans changed for many reasons and I'm so thankful they did. However, I still have the "decorating bug" in me and I still love to go into a home that is rich in design and color. I have been in many homes recently that fan this flame. I want to come home and move things around, replace objects and mostly...go shopping for something new to behold and add a little something to a corner of a room or a wall.

Like many woman, this thing gets in me and it can even become a fixation. I want to make the old new. I want a fresh look in a room of my home. There is so nothing wrong with that...until it becomes an issue of identity. The Lord has been speaking so clearly to me about this lately. There is a tendency for me to look around and be dissatisfied with how my house presents. I don't like the couches. I don't like the dark tones of the wood in my home. I don't like my dingy carpet or my sparce accent furnishings and accessories. Oh, believe me, the list could go on.

Ok-for some of us it might not be our house. Maybe it's our body or our clothing, our job, or even our own children, whatever else we seek identity in. This is the place that God chooses to speak to me today.

Bottom line - I am to find my identity in Christ and Christ alone. If I'm looking to anything else to tell me I'm "Ok" then I'm still trying to fill a space in me that He alone can satisfy. If my "desires" cause an unsatisfied stirring within me, then I am not looking to the right source to satisfy. He alone is The Source.

He spoke to me today, "Gina, I am so much more concerned with the condition of your inner sanctuary. Pursue righteousness, joy and My Kingdom. I will satisfy every place in you and you will have peace."

Do I want a tidy, beautiful and comfortable home. Of course I do - and I believe he wants that for me too, but if this is where I am looking to find my identity and sense of 'self-worth' then I've missed the mark. "You alone satisfy my soul. In You do I find rest." There are just so many scriptures that speak to this place in us. I think it's time to run to the Word that brings Life.

...and as I type, in runs my youngest son who hands me a gorgeous lilac. The Father's reminder to me that I am His flower. When I am worshipping Him...my fragrance is sweet. Beautiful!

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Ahhh, our Gina Therese!
You are becoming more and more expressive of your inner workings and we marvel at your preceptions and how you run right back to your Source! It's a beautiful thing to behold!

May your inner sanctuary exude the essence of the Love that abides in you as you abide in Him who dwells within! May all who read your postings be drawn to that inner place as well and remember that this is the only lasting place that will be decorated for God's eternal glory. The rest shall pass away but we also pray that you will get "your turn" at redecorating a home just for the JOY of it and to bring the Lord delight! I sure hope you don't have to wait until eternity!!! :)

With all our love!
Mom and Dad (who has the same inclinations of beauty that you have!)

Tami said...

I just have to say this...

I have NEVER experienced anything EXCEPT beauty when coming through your door, Gi! Your home is so sweet, so full of love. It is my belief that the beauty that exists within YOU spills out into the fabrics of your home. That is what makes a house a home.... AND a beautiful home too.

Being that I have that "decorator's bug" within, I completely understand what you are talking about here. I think sometimes we just need different perspective though. Sometimes we are just too close to see the actual beauty that is right underneath us. Your home GLOWS in my eyes. I have come to look forward to my time spent there every week just hanging with my girls. :0)

Oh, and just so you know this too... It is your home that has often inspired me to come home and move things around or even get rid of clutter. I don't think I have EVER seen clutter in your house. THAT is something to behold!!! Again though, it comes from the inside out. It's easy to see that there isn't a whole lot of clutter within you either.

I love you!