Friday, December 17, 2010

P E A C E

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you...let not your heart be troubled." -John 14:27
Oh how I love this scripture. It reads for me as a promise, a precious promise that no matter what storms rage around me, I have the promise of His peace. It's not a peace that the world can give...nope. Even as I sit and type in my warm, cozy house with the Christmas tree lights aglow, the warmth of the fire...there is a peace deeper still and He offers it to us!
And the fact that He tells me not to let my heart be troubled is comfort beyond anything this world has to give! It means that He knew there would be difficulties we would face. There would be obstacles that we would come up against that would shake our faith.

So, there they are, the obstacles...right there in front of us...and I have a choice to make. I can either run to peace -His peace, or I can run into panic, scurrying about trying to figure everything out. "LET not your heart be troubled." The word "let" tells me that I have a part in this. When my heart feels fear, when the confusion comes I can choose to be still instead.
I've been able to put this to practice very recently...like, last night ;) at 2:00 in the morning with my husband, as we lay there praying about some financial decisions that are in front of us. Funny thing is, I have chosen peace and I am totally confident that God goes before us and He will work this "thing" out. Instead of panic, I've been praying. How many prayers have I prayed over this thing. And with God, all things are possible. I know He hears me. I know that He is completely aware of the storms. My Utmost for His Highest (Dec. 14th) speaks of an attitude of complete reliance on God. I used to think, "yeh, right...for the saint maybe!" But it's the very trials of life that produce in us this reliance, because we see the Holy Spirit working in ways beyond us. We can have confidence that Father will (and wants) to reach beyond our failures and circumstances and provide for us...because He Loves us!

I think about my Belle. When I hear her crying out over the monitor from her bedroom. Do I turn of the monitor so that I don't hear her calling to me? (well, sometimes...but you know what I mean)...No! I go to her with love and concern and I provide for her needs! He knows our needs! He hears our cries and He has mercy on us. He is the best loving parent ever!!!!

This morning He met us in our need. We met with a financial advisor (totally a God incident) and we walked away with our hope renewed. All is not lost! God has heard our cry and as we drove down the hill and realized where we were going...right to the very building that our own dentist is in...we giggled with delight. God's sense of humor. His answer was "right under our nose!" His peace came washing over us instantly as we walked into this office and were greeted with sincere smiles and concern. We spent an hour going over our situation and listening to this man explain in detail what we were to do and why it made sense for our family.

When driving back up the hill I had several realizations. God is dealing with more of my mindsets...namely, my "money mindset!" He wants me to understand that this thing we call the "economy" belongs totally to Him. He owns it all! Nothing we own now or ever will own is ours for the keeping. He gives and He takes away...but understand this, all for His purposes and His purposes our always that of His love for us. He wants to reveal Himself to us anew! My belongings -His! My salary-His! My financial security (or not)-His!

He is teaching me/us to listen!!! His word says, "My sheep hear my voice!" How many times have Brian and I heard a thing, but because of our stupidity (really, it is what it is) we ignore that voice and we end up getting stuck in the brambles of this world. THANKFULLY He is the GOOD Shepherd and He leaves the 99 to come and look for us. When He finds us, He picks us up and sets us on His shoulders and carries us to safety. That is exactly what He did for us this morning. He heard us bleating in the brambles and He came running. He will ALWAYS come running with the answer. I am confident. "Let not your heart be troubled!"

This beautiful season is supposed to be a time for PEACE, but I know that for so many it is a time of confusion and struggle and sadness. As God's children, know that though in this world we will have tribulation, He will come up alongside us and lead us to safety and He will unravel the thing that troubles us. May He lead us to Peace this Christmas...not as the world gives, but as He gave on that Holy night when He came to show us the way!

No comments: