Back to Thanksgiving...the Moylans were here. My two little sweet-pea nieces brought with them lots of giggles, fun and energy! I can still here Aoife (Eefa) running through the house calling for Ria. Sofia is a more subdued little one, more sophisticated. She sat on the bed with the mommies looking through the stash of clothes that Aunty Ria brought for T. and I and exclaimed..."I want to be jazzy when I'm grown up!" No doubt! Love those Moylans!
I was so glad to have my brother's-in-law in the mix and Mom and Dad came on Weds. after being at T's for the first part of the week. They are on their way back up to Susanville today with a stop in Reno to meet with their realtor. What extraordinary parents I have. They have been through so much these past months...HUGE transition time for them, yet they still have time to play with my guys and love on us. Mom's pumpkin pies were the best ever this year, we all agreed and Dad's pumkin soup...amazing!
So, I could blah, blah, blah, but I really want to get down the prayer that Tina read to us at the dinner table last eve. It was beautiful and full of poignant reminders for us all on this day of "Thanks-Getting"-Black Friday, or whatever they call it. Yuck! That's all I have to say about that, without sounding pious and "holier-then-thou!"
Thank You Lord...
Lord, thank You for this sink of dirty dishes; we have plenty of food to eat.
Thank You for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry; we have plenty of clothes to wear.
And I would like to thank You Lord, for those unmade beds; they were so warm and comfortable last night. I know many have no bed.
My thanks to You Lord, for this bathroom, complete with all the splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory; they are so convenient.
Thank You for this finger-smudged refrigerator that needs cleaning. It has served us faithfully for many years. It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three meals.
Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings, Thank You Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.
Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible, Thank You Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.
Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising, Thank You Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.
Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned and tempers are short, my children are so loud and it seems as though everyone will be late for something, Thank You Lord, for my family! There are many who are lonely.
Even though my house might not look like the pictures in the magazines and the menu is at times not balanced, there are many who are hungry.
Even thought the routine of my job is monotonous, Thank You Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.
Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest, Thank You Lord...for LIFE!
There were lots of deep sighs and thoughtful faces as this prayer was read by my youngest sister on Thanksgiving. I would like to add one more word of thanks...
Even when I was still dead in my sin and shame, Thank You Lord that You came, and You died for my very life and I am forgiven. There are many who do not know You. You are why we give thanks today!!!
1 comment:
So many things to be thankful for this year, Gi. I'm so thankful for you my sweet sister, and for the beautiful little girl that you and Bri brought into this world this year! :0) She's such a blessing to us.
Oh, and I just have to say this... If your mom reads this... Patty, you look beautiful in the pictures! All of "the girls" look like you're glowing with the love that only a family can give. ~
Post a Comment