Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Super Si, Our Birthday Guy






Oh my Silas! Silas is pure fun! He delights us with his young understanding of "how things are," and is not afraid to speak his mind. Silas shoots from the hip. He's honest and asserts himself beautifully with the older two. I love the way Silas sees the world! It has always delighted me, especially since he has such an artistic eye. Silas reminds me daily that God cares about the details of our lives and that every good and perfect gift comes from Him!

Yesterday we celebrated Silas! I was feeling so guilty last week that I didn't have time to plan a big birthday bash, but yesterday I realized that God knew exactly what our Silas needed.


The plan for the day was to wake up and take Silas and his friend to Wing's Cafe at the Auburn Airport for breakfast and then go bowling. Simple enough! After the festivities Brian would head to work and home we would go. Sigh! Well, surprise, Daddy got the day off. Here is how God planned to celebrate Silas...I woke at 6:00, fed Belle and then headed to Auburn to grab some fresh doughnuts and balloons. I came home to a very excited little boy who spotted his gifts on the kitchen table and was rearing to go. We waited until bro.s awoke and then we all crowded into bed (something we love to do) and watched Si open his gifts. The pics. say it all!

We did go to Wing's, but instead of breakfast, we did lunch, with the Gray crew! What a blast! It was perfect...the weather, the lunch, the planes. The boys went out onto the "parking lot" (not sure what it's called) and strolled around looking at the planes. One in particular, had just landed and two "Grandpa-type" gentlemen invited the boys to check out their plane. They even got to climb up into the driver's seat. Wow! They talked to the boys about flying and reaching for their dreams! One of the men told us he had been married for 55 years and he loved to sing in church. He also told the boys he loved to read. Silas grabbed onto this. Last night he told me while getting ready for bed, "Mom, remember what that man said? All I have to do if I can't go somewhere or do something I dream of doing...read about it! I want some books on flying!" I think we have a pilot in the making people! Anyhow, these two gentlemen thought they were flying into Auburn from Yosemite area to have lunch. Little did they know that God had bigger plans for them yesterday, and that His plans included 6 young boys who were checking out planes!

Bowling was next on the list. I don't bowl. I just don't! Bri., who does bowl very well, had fun with the kiddos though, coaching them, while Tami and I sat back with Belle and watched the fun. After bowling, Caleb and Lucas came back to the house while Benjamin went to theirs to hang-out with Colby. It was time for more laughter...lots of it! Caleb G. spent the night with Silas and they were sooooo cute together. What a blessed, blessed day!

So, another year older for our sweet Silas, and he will ALWAYS be my baby boy! I'm so thankful that he wasn't our girl, because God knew that I would need his little boy hugs and snuggles and his beautiful pictures that he draws and paints for me, reminding me of how much God loves me. I love you son! Happy 9th Birthday!

No comments: