These days I find myself laughing a lot. I find myself laughing at the simple things, because an almost 3-year old reminds me to look for the little girl inside of me who used to laugh at simple things...and who dared to dream, who cared less about her appearance or accomplishments than how she would chase an adventure, and who trusted that God would catch her and kiss her boo-boos if she fell.
This morning I found myself in the embrace (and when I say embrace, I mean the most genuine and tight embrace) of a little one who doesn't know me from any other lady walking into the dance studio on a Thursday morning. Little Athena ran, full throttle, across the parking lot, straight into my arms and as I scooped her up, she proceeded to wrap her little arms around my neck with her head on my shoulder and relaxed into the most precious hug. We stayed in this embrace for almost a full minute! She would not let go! I thought immediately of the Lord's admonishment, "Hey, let those little ones run to me and wrap their arms around my neck. Don't hinder them! The kingdom of God belongs to these little people!" -GV (Gina's version:)
"Only when we feel secure, are we free to be who we really are." These are the words of an author of a book I am reading these days. It's so true and the Lord keeps using little moments like the embrace of a two-year old, to show me just how secure I am to be in His arms. "See how very much our Father loves us, for He allows us to be called His children, and we really are!" (1 John 3:1) WE REALLY ARE!!!
In observation of my own little dulcinea, little girls laugh...a lot! They giggle and run and twirl (and they can throw a mean fit...but that's for another blog post). They delight in the simple things, and I melt when something catches my daughter's eye and she let's out an, "Aaaaaw, Mommy...it's so cupe (cute)!" -or- "It's so beautiful!" She notices everything...birds, butterflies, flowers, babies, ocean waves! SO, I am delighting in the story of my life these days. We've come a long way baby!
We've spent a couple of amazing weekends at the coast this April...Aptos and Monterey. While the older guys did their bike-thing, I got to head to the beach with the younger two. The weather was gorgeous and the squeals of joy were as invigorating as the ocean waves pounding the shore. Girl LOVES the beach, and I mean, LOVES the beach. There is really no other place she would rather be. She has even asked me if she could please surf, and incidentally watches a little surfer-girl named Kulia on YouTube repeatedly. Ha! Caleb and Bella are already plotting weekends in Santa Cruz together, as that's where he plans on attending college..."and you can come visit me, and I'll take you out surfing." Bella beams this, "my-brother-is-the-best" smile and nods her head in absolute agreement. Oh my Lord!
She can laugh at the days to come.
The days are getting longer and warmer. I am more than grateful for this time of year when school begins to wind down, testing is over, and we all anticipate the coming of summer. We just never know what tomorrow holds, as proven by recent events in our world, but as His children, no matter the circumstances, we can spontaneously run into His arms whenever...and He will scoop us up in His loving embrace...and I might add that He will probably spin you around and kiss your neck and you'll end up throwing your head back in a fit of the giggles. He has that affect!
2 comments:
Awwwww...cupe!!! REALLY cupe!!!
Love your writings, daughter...been waiting for this one since April 1st! Glad you had time to do a "catch up" and your testimony shines for the glory of God -- as always!
Love you so much and miss you these days...can't wait for La Bella's bd next month! We'll be there!
Hugs and kisses for all the clan!
Mom (Dad)
Post a Comment