Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cycles, Seasons, Rhythms

Forward...march!!!! Into 2012 we go. A few more days and we will slip into the beginnings of yet, another year and heralding in all that is to come. I've been using my time off to put together our "Year in Review" album, enjoying the memories and recalling, with great sentiment, the times we have shared as a family these past seasons. From New Years day frolics with friends to times on the lake this summer, through birthdays (a first and a tenth!) and holidays, moving a family into a new home and Christmas...here we go again! Cycles, seasons, rhythms...quite a beautiful thing.

So, just a couple of random things...I received the Tenth Ave. North CD from hubby for Christmas (I know, a little behind the 8-ball as it came out last year), but what a compilation they have put together on this project! I LOVE these songs! I could listen to them over and over again. I feel the breath of God every time I listen, and there is one song in particular that Bella seems to think is awesome because when it ends, on cue, she claps and yells, "Yeah!!!!!" How precious is that? I'll see if it's on playlist yet and put it on here so you can hear for yourself. Anyway, catch a listen to it on itunes if you feel so inclined. You won't be disappointed!

The other "random" business rolling around in my head lately is this book I'm reading, yet another by Brennan Manning (I think I've posted before that one of my life-goals is to read all of his books by the time I'm gone!;) This one is called Ruthless Trust-the Ragamuffin's Path to God. Oh wow! You really cannot exhaust the truths of God. There is always more that He wants to reveal and 'wow' us with. You know when God brings you through something and then you get to look back through the chaos of it all and receive revelation of who He was for you in that season or what He did in you in that season? It's always a very treasured part of my walk with Him when I'm in that place. Well, I'm there lately, and I'm turning the pages of this book finding myself rejoicing and being overwhelmed with gratefulness for this provision.
One of the chapters, in particular, has me captivated at the moment...it's called "The Way of Gratefulness!"

A quote Brennan writes from Henri Nouwen:

To be grateful for the good things that happen in
our lives is easy, but to be grateful for ALL of our lives -
the good as well as the bad, the moments of joy as well
as the moments of sorrow, the successes as well as the failures,
the rewards as well as the rejections - that requires spiritual work.
Still, we are only grateful people when we can say thank you to all that has
brought us to the present moment. As long
as we keep dividing our lives between events and people we would rather forget,
we cannot claim the fullness of our beings as a gift of God to be
grateful for. Let's not be afraid to look at everything
that has brought us to where we are now and TRUST that we will soon
see in it the guiding hand of a loving God!

And if you are familiar with Brennan Manning, you know that he uproots and turns over so many of the facets of gratefulness, but he does it in a way that illuminates the face of Jesus and makes you feel like you have kissed His cheeks ;) ...and He has kissed yours!

Have a great New Year everyone...a shout-out to you my fb friends who read this foolish thing!


No comments: