Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy Anniversary Dad and Mom!!!



Ahhhhh...Lake Tahoe!  I feel like I grew up here.  Since I was about 4 years of age, our 4th of July Frenzy was experienced along the sandy shores of Pope Beach (Reagan Beach for the fireworks display).  Mom and Dad were blessed to have neighbors, Grace and Ward Stanley, who owned a home near the Keys.  With no children of their own, we quickly became family, and of course, there are 'family' perks.  We would vacation the week before and the week after the 4th up at the lake - for FREE!  Totally God's favor and faithfulness, being that Dad was on private school teacher's salary!  The house butted-up to the bike trail, so my sisters and I would spend a lot of time riding through the meadow to the bike trail.  Off we would go, to Pope Beach.  This was our heaven!

Of course, the years pass and traditions sometimes change, which isn't bad, it's just life.  We haven't been up to Tahoe as a family (complete family) in a few years.  Either the Moylans were in Ireland, or the Holbrooks were at Clear Lake.  With the upcoming celebration of Dad and Mom's 40th Wedding Anniversary on the horizon, we knew this could mean only one thing for the family...Lake Tahoe or bust!

A little more history here - Dad and Mom were married July 4, 1969 in Sacramento.  They honeymooned in Lake Tahoe and stayed at Harvey's where, as legend has it, Mom decided to light some firecrackers off the balcony of their room and nearly burned the place down!  That's my Mama!  So, Lake Tahoe has come to be a very special place for our family.  This might be a bit T.M.I. but here goes  :0)...all three of our children were conceived up at Lake Tahoe.  No joke.  Brian asked me to marry him on horseback in Lake Tahoe (there's a funny memory...as he got off of his horse to propose to me the darn thing almost took off on us and we would have been left stranded in the snow in the middle of the Tahoe National Forest!)  My parents have a picture of me rocking my baby-doll on the deck when I was about 6 years-old looking out on Mt. Tallac.  Nineteen years later, they have a picture of me rocking my Caleb on that same rocker out on the deck!  You get the drift.

Planning for the 40 Anniversary Celebration began back in April.  We did the sisterly thing and went back-and-forth as to where we should do this, how we should do this, who should be involved, etc...  If you've ever planned a family event then you know that it can be wrought with frustration and even a little bit of hurt...no, pain!  Brian and I actually gave up at one point and backed out of the plans.  Tahoe rentals for the week of July 4 are EXPENSIVE!!!  We suggested the ocean.  You know, something new, different.  My heart ached when I finally had to relinquish and accept the fact that the Holbrooks might have to settle for heading up to the Lake for the day.  Ugh!

Well, as you might know, we serve a God who is intimately familiar with our secret thoughts and dreams.  One morning I got the unction to call a place called Zephyr Point Pres. Conference Center, knowing that they cater to small and large groups for retreats and such.  I won't bore you with the details, but after corresponding back and forth with Kate, it was set.  Dad and Mom and the Moylans would share a cabin, and the Brice/Holbrook families would have rooms in the Tallac Lodge.  The best part was, it was only a fraction (and I mean a fraction) of the cost of what it would have been had we rented a house.  This also happens to be one of Mom's favorite places in Lake Tahoe (Aglow retreats!)  We booked for Friday through Sunday.  Done!

We met at the Starbucks at the 'Y' at 10:30 on Friday morning and headed straight for Z.P.  Dad and Mom were very surprised and totally delighted to find us pulling in through the gate.  They had no idea.  We spent a wonderful time down at the private beach, jumping off the docks and swimming in the cove...so protected, so quiet, so blue!  Ria and T and I checked everyone in, and as I opened the door to our room I was totally stunned...a corner room right on the water.  How was this even possible that God would surprise us like this.  It was sweet confirmation to my heart of His love and mercy towards our family.  

We slept all night with the windows open listening to the sound of the water lapping at the rocky shore.  Breathtaking views surrounded us with no obstructions in sight!   I couldn't help getting up early on Saturday morning (early like 5:00) to go down to the waters edge (actually something called the "Prayer Portal" which is a little bench area made from the large granite rocks along the shore.)  It was communion time between my Sweet Savior and me.  I watched in stunned silence as the sun came up across the lake on Mt. Tallac...the mountain I had stared at as a child numerous times before.  This view was different...not only had I changed but the view had changed.  I now had the beautiful blue waters of Lake Tahoe between us and the snow covered cross was a perfect reminder of the unfading love that the Father has for His children.  The seasons of my life have come and gone, some not so wonderful for sure, but His Love has remained a constant...always there!

So began the 4th of July and the most incredible day of family love!  

After breakfast was the honoring of the parents/grandparents who have been such an incredible example of perseverance and faithfulness to our family.  Tina opened up with a sweet speech about how their love has guided us and taught us to forgive and find hope in all circumstances of life.  Then came the song that I had in mind to sing to them.  I was nervous, but I knew I needed to honor them with this song.  Next came the unveiling of the portrait of the heritage that they have been blessed with - the grandchildren.  I'll post it here in the slideshow.  Oh my how they wept.  We all wept tears of thankfulness.  My precious papa then embraced each of his grandchildren and spoke words of promise and prophecy over them each.  It was so personal and so beautiful.  Maria presented them with a beautiful gift from Molokai (more meaning behind that one...ask me :0)!  We concluded with a beautiful song sung by my mother to my father (she rewrote the song that she sang to him at their wedding.)  She then had him open a letter that informed him of their stay at the Tahoe house that I "grew up in!"  He was shocked and elated.  What a time!  

 Saturday evening the whole crew headed to Harveys of course, for a five-star meal at Kitchen 19 perched at the top of the casino overlooking the entire lake.  We had the window table and shared a very elegant but FUN family meal.  It was a hoot when they brought out, at the end of this amazing dinner, huge bowls full of pink cotton candy for the children.  Totally unexpected but even this spoke to me of God's sweet blessings and His humor.  He doesn't miss a beat!  All this fluff-and-stuff had me laughing inside!  Happy 40th Anniversary Dad and Mom.
We ended the day with a walk down to a very private beach and had probably the most spectacular view of the fireworks over South Shore (less the crowds and frenzy) that we have ever shared.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

Maria put it best in an email she sent me yesterday, "I feel like our already close family has been blessed with an even deeper 'closeness' this past weekend."  I miss everyone.  As I sit here and type this I dream of a day when maybe we will all live just a little bit closer...but not too close :0)  I Love you family with all of my heart.  
Full of thanks,
Gi


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY, OH MY, OH MY!!!

Darling daughter -- you have "captured" the very essence of our wonderful 40th Anniversary celebrations from start to finish! I certainly don't have to journal anything other than this, for sure! What a gift you are developing and I was commenting to Dad that you don't need a "red ledger" to jot your musings in -- you have THIS!

Thank you for sharing your heart with us and the pictures are absolutely phenomenal! (How I wish I were half my size but I do thank the Lord that I am still here and can only muse on what it would be like -- for now)

Pictures are worth a thousand words and you have produced BOTH here -- giving any who care to view a well rounded synopsis of the amazing weekend we all had together.

Perhaps, in God's sweet will, it will be as Maria has stated it -- close but not too close; someday in the future! How awesome would THAT be??? We look to the day we all will rejoice in the Kingdom of our God but, who knows?, we may get another taste of that right here like we had last weekend!

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!

How we love you all -- our greatest treasures!

Forever and in His embrace,
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

P.S.

Dad says that he thinks the greatest GIFT that we had on our Anniversary was the Lord's complete peace throughout the weekend and seeing so much joy and love in the whole family -- without strife or pretentions.

In other words, WOW -- WONDER OF WONDERS!!! Thank you, Father, for the precious and distinct giftings of all my daughters. What beauties -- like their mother! I'm a very blessed man!

YES -- we'd do it again!!!

Love you, Gina, for YOU and your "taking the walk"!!!
Dad

Tami said...

What a beautiful story, Gina. What a gift and treasure it is to share your lives with parents who have loved each other for so long... through all the ups and downs. I'm so happy that God blessed you and your WHOLE family with this special time together. The pictures are beautiful... they made me cry. I look forward to spending an afternoon talking all about it.

Love you ~